BREAST AUGMENTATION BENEFITS
Breast augmentation procedures involve the surgical placement of saline or silicone breast implants to enhance the shape, size, and overall aesthetic appearance of the breasts.
Breast augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures in North America.
- Can add volume and fullness to the breasts
- Can also effectively address the problem of asymmetrical breasts (breasts that are different sizes)
- Can restore lost volume to depleted breasts after childbirth, breast feeding, or dramatic weight loss.
BREAST AUGMENTATION OPTIONS
Personal preferences regarding ideal breast aesthetics vary significantly among patients. Fortunately, however, breast augmentation surgery is highly customizable, and patients can select from a vast number of alternatives in terms of the aesthetics, size and texture of their breast implants. Basic implant options include:
Type of implant:
- Saline breast implants allow for a smaller surgical incision, because they are filled with a sterile salt water solution after insertion. Saline implants do not pose any health risks should the implants rupture or deflate; however, they are more prone to rippling than silicone implants.
- Silicone breast implants are pre-filled with a silicone gel, and are preferred by some patients because of their ability to closely simulate the authentic feel and density of human breast tissue.
- Size of implant: implant sizes are not measured in traditional bra cup measurements, but rather in volumetric measurements known as cubic centimeters (cc’s), with standard breast implants ranging in size from 120 cc’s to 960 cc’s
- Implant profile: breast implant profiles indicate the projection of the implant from the patient’s body—patients desiring more prominent silhouettes should select implants with higher profiles, and vice versa.
Shape of implant:
- Anatomical (teardrop)
Although the wide variety of implant options allow patients to select implants that are tailored precisely to their aesthetic preferences, having to make so many pre-operative choices may sometimes feel overwhelming, which is why it is so important to have a knowledgeable plastic surgeon such as Dr. Hani Sinno, M.D., to patiently guide you through the breast augmentation decision-making process. Dr. Sinno has experience performing breast augmentation procedures at his private practice in Montreal, Quebec, and makes it a priority to stay up to date with the latest developments and innovations in the constantly evolving field of breast surgery, in order to provide his patients with beautiful, natural-looking results.
BREAST AUGMENTATION PROCEDURE
Breast augmentation surgery is typically a 1-2 hour outpatient procedure performed using IV sedation or general anesthesia. In addition to the customizability of the breast implants themselves, the breast augmentation procedure is also customizable, and enables the surgeon to select from different implant placement options and surgical incision techniques, including:
Breast implant placement options:
- Submuscular—implants are placed underneath the pectoral muscle
- Subglandular/submammary—implants are placed over the pectoral muscle and behind the breast tissue
Breast augmentation incision techniques:
- Inframammary—incision made beneath the curve of the breast
- Transaxillary—incision made in the underarm region
- Periareolar: incision encircles the lower half of the areola
During your initial consultation, Dr. Sinno will conduct a thorough assessment of your anatomy, implant selection choice, and surgical goals in order to select the optimal incision technique and implant placement location for your breast augmentation surgery.
BREAST AUGMENTATION RECOVERY AND RESULTS
Following your breast augmentation surgery, you can expect to experience mild to moderate discomfort (for which you will be given prescription pain medication). You will have periodic follow-up appointments with Dr. Sinno to ensure your breasts are healing properly. The average post-operative recovery period for breast augmentation surgery is 2-4 weeks; however, this can vary from patient to patient, and is dependent upon the unique healing capacity of each patient’s body. Although the initial results of your breast augmentation will be visible immediately following your procedure, your results will continue to improve over the next few weeks as any residual bruising and swelling subsides.
CONTACT DR. SINNO
Dr. Sinno and his well-trained team members have worked to create a welcoming, healing office environment, and will take the time to thoroughly explain your breast augmentation procedural details and options. Your breast augmentation treatment plan will be uniquely customized to reflect your specific aesthetic goals, and you can be assured that you will have the best possible patient care throughout your cosmetic surgery experience. If you would like additional information about breast augmentation surgery, please contact our office today. We are happy to answer any and all of your questions, and to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Sinno.
For more information on this specific procedure and to watch a 3D video animation, please visit the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) here: http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/3d-animations.html