Breast lift surgery (mastopexy) is an surgical option for patients who are happy with the volume and size of their breasts, but are seeking to lift and raise the position of their breasts and nipple to a more aesthetically pleasing location.
Mastopexy procedures treat and correct the problematic aesthetic condition known as breast ptosis, which refers to breasts that are sagging or drooping as a result of the loss of elasticity in the breast tissue.
A number of factors are responsible for causing and/or exacerbating breast ptosis (sagging):
- Weight loss: as a woman loses weight, her breast volume decreases, which can lead to sagging of the breasts if the breast tissues are unable to conform to the new, smaller breast shape.
- Gravity and the natural aging process: breasts lose their youthfully lifted, “perky” appearance and begin to stretch and sag, as the elasticity in the breast tissue responsible for upholding the support structures of the breasts gradually decreases over time
- Post-pregnancy/breast-feeding: during pregnancy and/or breast feeding, a woman’s breasts must stretch to accommodate milk production, and when pregnancy and breast feeding have ended, the dramatic loss in breast volume can result in significant drooping and sagging of the breasts.
- Genetics: some women are genetically predisposed to developing the condition of breast ptosis and/or downward pointing nipples.
By tightening the breast tissue, excising surplus skin, and creating a more supportive structure to maintain the newly lifted and raised position of the breasts, breast lift surgery provides an effective and long-lasting countermeasure to the symptoms of ptosis.
In addition to treating the problem of sagging or drooping breasts, mastopexy surgery can also address and ameliorate breast-related issues such as: downward pointing nipples, enlarged areolas, asymmetrical breasts, and stretched skin in the breast region. In order to achieve optimal surgical results, your mastopexy procedure should be performed by a plastic surgeon such as Dr. Hani Sinno, M.D., who has helped patients raise and firm their breasts, and correct the condition of breast ptosis (sagging) with breast lift surgery at his private practice in Montreal, Quebec.
Please click here for an instructional video.
BREAST LIFT PROCEDURE AND RECOVERY
Breast lift surgery is performed on an outpatient basis under IV sedation or general anesthesia.
There are four primary procedural options for a breast lift, which are differentiated by the incision patterns they require, and the degree of ptosis they correct.
- Crescent Lift is appropriate for patients with the mildest cases of breast ptosis, followed by the
- Benelli Lift
- Vertical Lift
- Full Lift, which is best suited for patients with the most severe breast sagging.
After thoroughly evaluating the degree of your breast ptosis, your anatomy, and your aesthetic goals, Dr. Sinno will select the breast lift technique that will enable you to achieve optimal surgical results.
Following your mastopexy, your incisions will be covered with bandages or surgical dressings, and you will be advised to wear a support bra in order to facilitate the healing process and decrease any post-operative swelling. The length of the post-surgical recovery period varies from patient to patient, depending upon each individual’s capacity to heal; however, you will need to avoid heavy lifting and strenuous exercise for the first few months after your procedure.
It is important for patients to understand that breast lift surgery performed on its own does NOT impact or augment the volume, fullness, or overall size of the breasts. If your surgical goals include an increase in breast size in addition to lifting and raising your breasts, Dr. Sinno can perform a breast augmentation in conjunction with a breast lift procedure in order to effectively fulfill both of these aesthetic goals in the course of a single surgery. Dr. Sinno is experienced performing these two procedures together, and will ensure that all of your breast surgery objectives are safely and successfully brought to fruition.
CONTACT DR. SINNO
Dr. Sinno and his well-trained team members have worked to create a welcoming, healing office environment, and will take the time to thoroughly explain your breast lift procedural details and options. Your mastopexy procedure and treatment plan will be uniquely customized to reflect your specific aesthetic goals, and you can be assured that you will have the best possible patient care throughout your breast lift experience. If you would like additional information about breast lift surgery, please contact our office today. We are happy to answer any and all of your questions, and to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Sinno.
Pre and Post Operative Photos
Please Click here for representative examples of pre and post-operative photos of patients from the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
For more information on this specific procedure and to watch a 3D video animation, please visit the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) here: http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/3d-animations.html