WHAT IS BLEPHAROPLASTY?
The delicate skin of the eyelid region is highly vulnerable to the damaging effects of the natural aging process, sun damage, and other environmental factors, all of which can cause negative aesthetic changes to the upper and lower eyelids. The term blepharoplasty was derived from the Greek word “blepharon,” meaning eyelid, and refers to the surgical procedure performed to enhance the aesthetic appearance of the upper and/or lower eyelids. Blepharoplasty procedures can address and correct many problematic aesthetic issues impacting the appearance of the upper and lower eyelids, including:
- Swollen upper eyelid appearance
- Upper eyelid ptosis (sagging, drooping), which can change the natural contour of the upper eyelid, and can potentially impair the patient’s vision
- Wrinkles and creases in the lower eyelid region
- Under-eye bags or puffiness
- Lower eyelid drooping resulting in scleral show (white showing below the colored region of the eye)
Eyelid surgery is a complicated and intricate procedure, requiring a high level of precision and knowledge of the delicate eyelid structures. At the private practice of Dr. Hanni Sinno M.D., located in Montreal, Quebec, you can rest easy knowing that you are in the care of a competent plastic surgeon, who will work tirelessly to ensure that your blepharoplasty goals are fulfilled.
EYELID SURGERY OPTIONS AND PROCEDURAL DETAILS
Eyelid surgery treats and corrects problematic aesthetic issues pertaining to the upper and/or lower eyelids by lifting and tightening the musculature adjacent to the eyelid area. During the blepharoplasty procedure, excess fat and skin are removed and repositioned to enhance eyelid symmetry and definition. There are three primary types of blepharoplasty surgery:
- Upper Eyelid Lift: during this procedure, fat deposits are repositioned, excess skin is removed, and eyelid muscles are tightened through an incision made within the natural crease of the upper eyelid
- Lower Eyelid Lift: this technique involves the removal of surplus skin in the lower eyelid region through a small incision made just below the lower lash line.
- Transconjunctival Lower Eyelid Surgery: this procedure was developed as an alternative technique to treat and correct aesthetic issues of the lower eyelid, and entails the removal of excess lower eyelid skin through a small incision made inside the lower eyelid.
After selecting the appropriate anesthetic choice for your surgery (intravenous sedation or general anesthesia), and evaluating your facial anatomy and surgical goals, Dr. Sinno will select the appropriate blepharoplasty technique to ensure that your surgical objectives are brought to fruition.
Blepharoplasty is generally performed as an outpatient procedure, with an average recovery period of approximately one week. Following your eyelid surgery, you will be advised to wear darkly tinted sunglasses, and to practice proper skin protection in order to facilitate the healing process. Pain medication, cold compresses, and eye ointments can be used to minimize any post-surgical bruising, irritation, swelling, and dry eyes.
CONTACT DR. SINNO
Dr. Sinno and his well-trained team members have worked to create a welcoming, healing office environment, and will take the time to thoroughly explain your brow lift procedural details and options. Your brow lift surgery will be uniquely customized to reflect your specific aesthetic goals, and you can be assured that you will have the best possible patient care throughout your brow lift experience. If you would like additional information about brow lift surgery, please contact Dr. Sinno’s office today. We are happy to answer any and all of your questions, and to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Sinno.
Pre and Post Operative Photos
Please Click here for representative examples of pre and post-operative photos of patients from the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
For more information on this specific procedure and to watch a 3D video animation, please visit the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) here: http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/3d-animations.html